Fiesta is in full swing and so is “no-refusal” for suspected DWI motorist. The Bexar County District Attorney’s Office along with county, city and state law enforcement has declared the 11-day Fiesta Celebration “no-refusal”. Any motorist suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol and refuses a breath-alcohol test will be arrested and transported to the Bexar County Magistrate Office. While in detention a blood search warrant will be issued and executed for blood to be drawn. This will determine the blood-alcohol level from a registered nurse administered by the Bexar County Medical Examiner’s Office. With the “no-refusal” system in place this gives the Bexar County District Attorney’s Office critical evidence to secure DWI convections. A driving while intoxicated charge is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine up to $2000.00. To include, there is the cost to employ a defense attorney, which will include attorney’s fees and expenses.
Here are some safety tips to follow while enjoying your Fiesta Event:
- Call a taxi cab. All San Antonio cabs services will be fully staffed and will be offering a safety ride up to $20.00.
- Have a plan to choose a designated driver.
- Call a safe ride program. During the Fiesta season there are numerous safe rider programs designated to serve as your driver
- Intervene if you know someone that intends to drive while intoxicated, remember the saying, "Always Pass the Keys.”
- Use bConcerned.com, a website that confirms your safe return home, when going to any event, it’s free and easy to use
<!--[if !supportLists]-->· Following these simple safety tips, could make this a fun and enjoyable Fiesta 2011. Have fun, stay safe, bconcerned about yourself and use bConcerned.com!