Sen. Leticia Van de Puette, of Texas, filed Senate Bill 488 that would require online dating sites to conduct criminal background check of its members or to post a disclosure that the members have not been through a criminal background check. Sounds like a great idea! With over 20 million Americans using online dating sites, there should be some type of safety involved. While hoping for love and clicking on profiles for your future Mr. Right, searching for compatible hobbies and looking for a lasting relationship; do you have time to determine if he is a sexual predator? Like most of us in this fast paced and busy life, we usually don’t have time to search the web to find out if the guy with the charming smile is a pervert, criminal or an all-around nice guy!
So, Sen. Van de Puette S.B. 488 is a no brainer to keep online daters safe. I agree, it’s a good start! Let’s look at some pros of S.B. 488;
• Criminal background checks will keep criminals off online dating sites.
• Members would feel more comfortable that the profiles they are searching are law abiding citizens.
• Bring awareness to dating safety.
Now let’s look at some of the cons of S.B. 488;
• Just because a person has been arrested for a crime does not mean they were convicted for that crime. They may have beaten the case for several reasons; the victim decides not to prosecute due to fear or retaliation, evidence is lost or destroyed and witnesses refusing to cooperate. Therefore, a lucky criminal is still a criminal, but just hasn’t been found guilty.
• Most criminal background checks that are found on the internet, will only disclose convictions not charges!
• Every criminal once had a clean background! A criminal background check cannot guarantee that a person will not commit a crime in the future.
• Gives a person a false sense of security!
• Will increase the cost of membership of online dating sites.
When it comes to looking for love, the route that you use, whether online or offline, is not important. What is important is to exercise common sense and good judgment. And just when you think that you have done all that you can do to ensure your safety, remember to login to bConcerned.com where we monitor your safe return home, because your safety is our priority!